Thursday, July 14, 2011

To Two-Piece or Not To Two-Piece

  I recently attended a lake gathering on the second of, what we all hope to be, an annual lake weekend getaway for a group of old high school friends. The company is usually mixed, but most of the adults are in the 39-41 year old range. The weekend usually consists of alot of swimming and socializing, and this is a hot Alabama summer for sure.  Several of us went for a  cool-down dip from the 90 degree weather into the 89 degree lake water when a male friend had just taken a seat on the dock, and I emerged the lake donning my tankini bathing suit. He proceeded to comment on my granny suit, of course just ribbing me for fun and I took no offense, ribbing him back about something-or-another. After my other girl buddies got ready to swim, he noticed I wasn’t the only one brazing around in the ever-popular tankini (not a granny one piece, but not the dreaded bikini we were avoiding).  It got me to thinking…what is the requirement to avoid the bikini, and move on to more ‘mature’ choices? Are we really romping around looking like grannies? In looking at it from another view, lets say my 25 year old self from the past, is this tankini suit something I see my Grandmother wearing? And HOW old am I???  And so the question burns in my mind, to two-piece or not to two-piece? What exactly is the criteria, or shall I say, limitations, of swaggering around in a bikini in public? (backyards with privacy fences don’t count!)
 I’m now 40 years old and 15- 20 pounds overweight. In my mind this means no way Jose! The bikini is out of the question. Too many kids, too little muscle. However, in hanging out this summer and swimming in public locations I’m finding that freedom rings. More and more women are strutting their stuff and couldn’t give a hoot. I guess having a little more in the middle outweighs the risk of sashying around the pool looking like Betty White. And when I see this, I think to myself “Hey, you know what? I can do this too, I can be free! I can pull this off!” And then an 18 year old 105 lb tanned two-piecer walks by. Its not her fault, but it completely ruins it for me and makes me clutch onto my granny suit with enthusiasm. And then there are those that have the opinion, like my brother, that to wear a two-piece you must be a sports illustrated model or be under the age of 22 (and under the weight of 122).
 So what is the consensus on this? I mean hippies paved the way for us to show our stuff. At middle age and little over-weight, should we be free to reveal the mid-section? Or is this an atrocity and violation to the general public?
Frankly I would love to get my white abs tan. Tan fat is better than white fat, right?

5 comments:

  1. Very funny stuff Alicia. I agree that tan fat is always better than white fat ... I disagree with the you have to be a 22 yr old model at 122 to wear a two piece. Every one carries their weight differently, right? However, limits should be set. I think that we all need those Super friends that can tell you the truth and you still be the best of friends. Let your girlfriends be honest and we may want to consider there opinions about ourselves every once in a while. In return we do not should not ever ever tell our 300 pound friend they look super hott in that itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini !

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your children are sporting the "18 year old 105 lb tanned two-piecer", you should not. Keep rockin' that granny suit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an opinion because I'm looking for the same answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say it's personal preference. If you are comfortable enough with your body to wear a bikini then more power to ya. If not then wear a tankini. I think they look just as cute and I do not consider them a grandma outfit. I think women should wear what they feel comfy in.

    ReplyDelete